The stigma associated with mental health in corrections leads many officers to bottle up the stress they are experiencing. This stress can manifest itself in a number of unhealthy ways, including depression, addiction and suicide.
Dr. Michael Pittaro, a criminal justice faculty member at American Military University, explains how inadequate leadership is one of the primary stressors for correctional officers. In the video below, he discusses what warning signs to look out for and why leaders must do more to help officers deal with stress and prevent suicide.
For more information on preventing suicide in corrections, check out the resources below:
- Free eMagazine: Understanding and Managing Corrections Officer Stress
- Suicide Among Corrections Officers: It’s Time for an Open Discussion
- Are You Suffering from Burnout?
- Post-Traumatic Stress and Suicide in Corrections: How PA DOC is Addressing the Issue
- Stress Management Strategies for Correctional Officers